Saturday, September 3, 2011

I Knew Someone Would Find It Someday . . .

Saturday, September 3

So, Nick drops me at the Kakamega Airstrip this morning. It is, as billed by Nick and Rose, tiny.










In fact, the airstrip staff push the luggage to the plane on regular luggage carts. This is the total luggage for the flight to Nairobi via Eldoret. Most people just have carry-on. The embarrassingly gigantic red suitcase is mine.

Because the airstrip is so small, with basically no technology, the bag and body searches are pretty thorough. And my premonition of the last several years came true. The agent took my condom demonstration kit out of the suitcase and opened it as I was rapidly explaining that I train people to teach sex education. Out came boxes of condoms. And the wooden demonstration model of an erect penis.

She was actually very matter of fact and quite interested in my work. And my real worry has been that we would be pulled over while on a matatu and the luggage checked by the police. Which has never, in my experience, ever happened. But I still occasionally rehearse the explanation in my head of why I am traveling through Kenya with those particular accoutrements.

No comments:

Post a Comment