Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Day Two and a Half in Iowa

Well, I met some really nice folks door-knocking today, including several who said they'd put out lawn signs! So I drove out of town into REALLY rural Iowa to get signs and meet the county Democratic chair, a super guy, navy vet, active in the VFR, ex-union. He made us a pot of coffee and we sat in his kitchen watching the birds at his feeder and talking about how difficult it is to keep up your motivation as a democrat when you live in an area like his. He said that he knocked doors in 2008, but just won't do it any more. But, he hosts the staging area for the get-out-the-vote days, works for candidates behind the scenes, and generally keeps the other democrats' spirits up. However, he attributes much of the resistance to racism, and it just demoralizes him.

I didn't actually go to many houses, as I got a late start, it was drizzly and cold, and I was still whiney from yesterday (and sat in Ken's kitchen for an hour!) So when I got back to Denison I redeemed myself a little by helping with the phone-banking. And what was really interesting was one of the stories I heard when I called an Obama supporter.

A divorced mother of two, she was in a motorcycle accident last year when a deer ran out into the bike she was a passenger on. It turns out that the driver's insurance company wasn't liable because it was a deer (act of god??) so he wasn't at fault. And her company wouldn't pay because she was on a two-wheeled vehicle. She basically spent all her money before she could get on the state's medical plan, I guess. She's just going back to work this Friday, and has lots of physical therapy still in her future. She kept saying that she has pride, too, but sometimes you just need government help.

She told me that in her area, people get harassed by neighbors if they're vocal democrats. I've been hearing a lot about that, and I definitely felt intimidated yesterday. She took herself off of facebook about three months ago. Someone accusing her of hating rich people was one of the last straws. But from the way she talked several times about having pride, I definitely got the idea that people were also talking a lot about folks who take public assistance.

Anyway, by the end of the conversation, she asked me to come by tomorrow and put an Obama sign in her front lawn!!

My mission tomorrow is to ask every Obama supporter if they'll let me put a sign up in their yard. I've only seen one in the part of town I've been canvassing in, so the two I put up today, and the one I'll put up tomorrow morning, will already quadruple the number of Obama signs! I think that psychologically it might give some people a little more courage to see that there are others. Maybe I'll even get someone to agree to volunteer on the GOTV days. My bosses, Marlene and Grady, have managed to get some volunteers, but no one has said yes to me yet.

Tonight, a good night's sleep!


2 comments:

  1. I am so inspired by your work. It sounds like you've been talking to some of the same people I have when I phone banked for Obama. Hold on to all of the small victories, put together they can help us win Iowa! I posted a link to this blog on my facebook page. I think it's important for people to hear about the reality of rural Iowa. The more lawn signs the better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Casey. Yes, there's something about being a bit anonymous at the end of a phone line that lends itself to sharing, I think. They're saying that just two votes per precinct can make the difference in Iowa, so your and my calls can put the president over. Yes, we actually can!!

    ReplyDelete