Sunday, August 21, 2011

At Phylis and Robert's in Funyula!

Sunday, August 22

Arrived in Funyula yesterday. More will come later, since I'm not done lesson-planning for tomorrow (138 youth, from 10 to 4:30, in a tent, lunch will be served). Happily, they have evidently planned a lot of activities - drama, songs, poems - so I'm not really responsible for the whole day.

Anyway, some of you are anxious to see Phylis, Robert and the kids, as I know from facebook and messages. Robert seems to be camera shy, as I haven't gotten any shots of him yet.



From left, Doris, Abi and Phylis preparing kunde (cowpea leaves) for dinner last night.

We went to visit Phylis's mom and dad this afternoon. I was obsessed with all of the different fruit trees they had. This is a jackfruit (yeah, me too. huh?), which I hope to taste before I go (not ripe yet).





Doris put her hand on one to give perspective.





Phylis's dad and his second family, having chapati and dengu. His wife was at church.


We toured the farm, which is full of mangoes that Phylis's grandfather planted, plus sweet potatoes, maize, and other usual crops.Here is fruit that I don't know, that Phylis said she found in the US at Mexican groceries. The inside tastes lemony and is good in tea and Kenyan porrige (uji). Anyone know what it is?








A weed flower with sweet nectar. Ignore the expression on my face, it was really good. Phylis said the kids especially love to go in the field and sip the nectar.





Guava.


The local well, a popular gathering spot. Just down the road from Phylis's folks.







Phylis's mom cooking groundnuts for our tea.



The jackfruit somehow look even weirder to me when placed next to technology. They have a definite prehistoric vibe.


Bethwell, whom I didn't recognize, with the jackfruit.


Hanging out.



Beautiful Phylis.


A cousin came over with a motorbike. What can I say, Bethwell is 17, all agreed he is an excellent motorcycle rider, we're in Kenya, and off they roared.


Abi.


Phylis's dad pouring her tea.




Tea outside in the breeze. From left, me, Phylis's dad, Milton who drives for Ember, and Bethwell.



Phylis's mom bringing some vegetables.




The matatu in front of us driving back.



Buying food on our way home at small stands in Funyula. Fried fish and eggs.


It waited to rain until we got home, a lucky thing for us because of the rutted, narrow dirt roads to Phylis's parents' home. Such an interesting day!

1 comment:

  1. What great pictures! Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad that the Magina's are so happy being back home.
    Ruth Zekowski

    ReplyDelete