Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Day 2, AKA "throw away the bean soup"

Okay, yuck! I threw away the water the beans were soaked in, of course. But I read up on the cooking water, and it seemed that it would be perfectly fine, people use it as a stock for stews, soups, etc. Which makes sense - if you make bean soup, you're eating the water it was cooked in, right?

In my case, oh so wrong. So, yesterday mid-morning I decided to have a nice pick-me-up of the carrots simmered in bean-cooking water, that I had so frugally saved. I'd had breakfast at 5:30 am so I could go to a polling station at 6:00 for a candidate friend of mine. Get home hungry about 9:00 am. Decided to warm up the carrot soup instead of digging into lunch.

One nice big bowl of bean-broth carrot soup later, and I was canceling my afternoon plans. Maybe I simmered it down until it was too intensely beany? Anyhoo, no need to describe further, other than to say I stayed close to home until late afternoon.

Upside? Lunch never did sound good, so I had a nice big dinner and went to bed full!

No comments:

Post a Comment