Friday, April 12, 2013

Day 5 - reflections

It's still Friday morning, but I have a few thoughts about why this was easier for me this year. And also why it is SO much easier for a healthy person to do this for 5 days without the incremental health degradation that a poor person who always eats this way faces.

First, I over-budgeted for the fillers - rice, beans and lentils. So I was more full than last year, but traded off the little variety I had - broccoli and a kiwi a day - for carrots, which were cheap and I figured wouldn't spoil, like my broccoli did.

So interesting to me that I did this without thinking, because when I'm working in Kenya I preach the gospel of more variety and less ugali (boiled corn meal). In my defense my beans and lentils balanced with rice give me a complete protein, and corn has scant protein or nutrients, but that urge to go to bed full overcame even my knowledge of nutrients.

Second, I continued to take my vitamins and supplements (and thyroid meds), which probably took care of any nutritional deficiencies, which obviously poor people can't do.

my daily supplements



So, off to Rockford to pick up my speaking partner, then on to Quincy, where we'll spend the night. Giving a presentation tomorrow morning on the importance of switching to a graduated rate income tax. So, I'm going to pack up lunch and dinner, and hope for a microwave for my dinner. My plan is to eat in the hotel room and then go out to dinner with my friend, but only have tap water. Going a day away from home without being able to have a handful of nuts or a piece of fruit to get me from one meal to the net will be a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment