Thursday, June 20, 2013

Left Evanston and Arrived in Kenya!

Okay, a speedy tour through the last few days so I can get caught up, get to bed, and make breakfast with Matt tomorrow morning - bacon, eggs and fried potatoes over a wood fire in Rose's rural kitchen, for seven people!

Summary - my nephew Matt and I are off to Kenya for a working holiday. We'll be there from June 19 - July 30, and hope to do everything from teach about biointensive gardening (Matt) and the importance of condoms (me) to a balloon ride over the Masai Mara!


Matt takes a quick nap, having helped pack, weigh and label six 50-pound boxes and duffels.


Becky and her friend Leslie give us the traditional Mary Ann and Lee send-off.



Packing light. One suitcase and one duffel for Matt and me, and 5 boxes and one duffel of library books, training material, games, etc. for the 5 projects we're visiting.


Layover at Heathrow - yummy breakfast at the Giraffe in Terminal 5.



Fishmarket in Nairobi.


Some ex-Lavenda students and a friend gave us a quick tour of Nairobi University. I took a brief moment to appreciate being in the same space that was once occupied by President Nyerere.


If you look closely, under the archway is Matt with Beatrice and Stella, ex-Lavendians, and Beatrice's friend Simon.


Stella, Beatrice and Simon looking at Julie's wedding photos.



Had a puncture before we started off to Kakamega - repair being made.


Some flowers in the parking lot of our lunch stop in Nakuru.


Matt at the Rift Valley. We'll go back again, as it was too foggy to see much.


Rose buying potatoes for the girls's home at a roadside stand.


Heaving the bag of potatoes into our poor, overladen car.


If you can zoom in, can anybody tell me why it looks like Matt is taking a photo in the rear view mirror, but has his hand in his lap in the body of the photo??

6 comments:

  1. WOW ! Thank you for all the photos Kathy!
    You were on adventure the moment you stepped out the door I see.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the jump in your photos -- from Heathrow to Nairobi -- isn't air travel wonderful. We aren't birds, but we fly! Soar, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for figuring out how to do comments, Beth and Kathy. It's really fun to see that people are reading!! Right now I'm taking a breath, unpacking my library book and training materials. Every once in a while I walk outside and listen to the birds. Heathrow to Nairobi to the jungle!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sitting in the ambulance enjoying your adventures from afar. I hope Matt is able to document his gardening and what he has learned about local horticulture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt/Kathy, Sitting at kitchen table eating a Alaskan salmon salad. Tyff sent me the blog site so I thought I would try to write a comment. I am keeping it short since I am not sure you will get this. Bob W

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Bob and Tyf, thanks for reading and commenting. Matt is definitely identifying and explaining lots of the plants around here - and we bought a book in Nairobi to help us identify the trees and shrubs.

    ReplyDelete