Monday, May 7, 2012

Day 1 Living Below the Line

breakfast: beans, rice, 1 fried egg
lunch: lentil-rice soup, 1 kiwi


dinner: beans, rice, broccoli


Hoo boy! First day of "living below the line". After each meal I felt full, and I think I did an okay job maximizing calories and protein, with some fruit and vegetable, for the money. But I'm definitely used to eating between meals, and when I got in the car to do a quick errand this afternoon and saw the bag of salted almonds I always keep there - a close call. I tossed it over my shoulder into the back before it could call my name again.

My main strategy in the afternoon to keep hunger at bay? I took a nap! That's right, I said it. A nap. In Kenya the poor women that I see have to walk to the river for water and carry it back on their heads, walk to the edge of the forest for wood for fuel and carry it back, walk to the "trading center" to buy a little corn meal, cook over a fire. . . Me? Napping.

So. Day 1. Yikes! Because, the other thing? I didn't go into this hungry. What will tomorrow bring? And, how early will I be in bed tonight?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment