Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Day 3 Living Below The Line

Wednesday, Thursday AND Friday's rice, bean and lentil mixture 
meals for Wednesday - 3 servings of rice/bean/lentil + 1 egg for breakfast,  1 kiwi for lunch and broccoli for dinner

So last night, Tuesday, Julie, her fiance Carlos, and my nephew Matthew were over for a late dinner after Carlos's soccer game. The guys were really hungry, and I made up a big batch of rice and beans for them, while I was also preparing my lentils and rice for today. After they'd finished eating, I was packing up their leftovers for them while I put my rice/bean/lentil mix into quart jars, one each for the remaining three days of the project. Julie thought that the quart jars of food were one for each of them, to pack for their lunches today. She couldn't believe that each jar was three meals of food. For me.

I managed to go through what is for me a pretty normal day today, which basically means not much physical exertion. An hour of physio for an injured toe, some shopping for garden plants with a friend, re-potted some of the new plants, did a little watering, emails, some reading (just how luxurious IS my life?) . . .

I was so hungry I couldn't wait for dinner, and cooked my evening meal at 4:45, except for the broccoli, which I just ate a little bit ago - about 8:30 pm,  just to spread the food out over time. It's now 9:45, and I'm pretty much out of oomph.

I'm imagining how I would feel if I'd had to expend a lot of calories working, or even walking very far. Or, if I were cold - it's a chilly night, and I saw my breath a little while ago letting Spenser out in the backyard. Notice I didn't say taking Spenser for a walk.  What if I were hungry AND cold? What if I had to walk to a shelter? Or sleep outside?

Two more days.

2 comments:

  1. I admire your courage, Kathy! I wouldn't last a day, I'm afraid. Go get more dandelion leaves, they have LOTS of vitamins. You can just wilt them into your lentils and rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa! Dandelions are gone, but next spring I'll be gobbling them like a rabbit!

    ReplyDelete